Have you ever tried tapping on an Instagram link only to get an error message? We’ve all been there. Nothing kills your social media buzz like a broken link when you’re trying to check out the latest viral post or shop for your favourite influencer’s outfit. Before you smash your phone in frustration or throw in the towel on Instagram altogether, take a deep breath. There are a few easy fixes you can try to get those pesky Instagram links working again in no time. We’ve rounded up the top ways to troubleshoot Instagram links not working on both Android and iPhone. In just a few quick steps, you’ll be back to liking, commenting, and sharing to your heart’s content. So don’t give up on the ‘Gram just yet – your solution is only a click away!
Table of contents
Update the Instagram App
Have you noticed your Instagram links not working lately? It can be frustrating when you want to share something with your followers but the link is broken. The good news is there are a few things you can try to fix Instagram links not working.
- Update the Instagram App. An outdated app version is often the culprit. Go to your phone’s app store and download the latest Instagram update. This should get your links working again in no time.
- Check Your Internet Connection. Instagram links require an internet connection to work. Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi or cellular data signal. If you’re on the go, links may not work properly. Try again when you have a stable connection.
- Re-enter the Link. It’s possible you made a typo entering the link. Double-check that the link is entered correctly without any spaces or errors. Delete it and re-enter the full, correct link to fix the issue.
- Use a Link Shortener. Some links are very long, and Instagram has a character limit. Use a link-shortening service like Bitly or TinyURL to shrink the link. Then enter the shortened link into Instagram. This can solve link not working problems.
- Report the Issue to Instagram. If you’ve tried the other steps and the links are still not working, it may be an issue on Instagram’s end. Send a report to Instagram from within the app explaining the problem. The support team can then investigate and fix any bugs to get your links up and running again.
With a few quick fixes, you’ll be sharing Instagram links in no time. Let me know if any of these solutions work for you or if you have any other questions!
Clear the Instagram App Cache
If Instagram links in your bio or posts aren’t working, don’t stress—there are a few easy fixes you can try.
First, clear the Instagram app cache. This means deleting the temporary data stored on your phone by the Instagram app. To do so:
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile.
- Tap the three dots in the top right corner to open the menu. Select ‘Settings’.
- Scroll down to the ‘Support’ section and tap ‘Clear Cache’.
- Confirm you want to clear the cache. This will delete temporary data like images and refresh your Instagram.
- Try your links again. Clearing the cache often fixes minor software issues and is worth a shot.
If that doesn’t work, double-check that the links are formatted properly. Instagram only allows certain link formats. Make sure:
• Your link starts with ‘http://’ or ‘https://’.
• It does not contain any spaces or special characters. Replace them with hyphens or underscores.
• The link is not too long. Keep it under 23 characters.
• You’ve used a link shortener like Bitly or TinyURL if needed.
Still not working? It could be an issue with the website you’re linking to. Try linking to a different site to check. If the new link works, contact the webmaster for the original site.
As a last resort, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the Instagram app to reset it. But clearing the cache and checking your links are the easiest places to start. With a few quick fixes, you’ll have your Instagram links working in no time!
Restart Your Phone
Restarting your phone is one of the simplest fixes for Instagram links not working. When your phone has been on for a long time, the memory can start to fill up and the software can get bogged down. A quick restart will clear the memory and refresh the software, which often fixes minor glitches like links not opening.
Power Off Completely
Don’t just lock your screen or put your phone to sleep. Hold down the power button until the “Power off” or “Shut down” option appears on the screen. Select that option to completely power off your phone.
Wait 30 Seconds
After your phone is off, please wait at least 30 seconds before turning it back on. This gives the memory and software a chance to fully clear and reset. Not waiting long enough before restarting can sometimes prevent issues from being resolved.
Hold down the power button again until your phone begins to power on. Allow it to fully start up and load all the way to your home screen. All of your apps, settings, and accounts will reload as your phone restarts.
Test the Instagram Link
Once your phone has fully restarted and loaded, open Instagram and try the link that wasn’t working again. In many cases, the restart will have refreshed the app and network connections, allowing the link to now function properly. If the link still does not open, proceed to the next steps to troubleshoot further.
A quick restart is an easy first step to try when Instagram links or other features stop working on your phone. If restarting alone does not fix the issue, you may need to try updating the Instagram app, checking your network connection, or uninstalling and reinstalling the app. But start simple – you may find a restart is all it takes to get Instagram links working again.
Check Your Internet Connection
A wonky internet connection is one of the most common reasons why Instagram links may not be working on your phone. Double-check that your Wi-Fi or mobile data is up and running.
Restart Your Router
If you’re on Wi-Fi, restart your wireless router by unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in. This will refresh your network settings and connectivity. Once the router is back up, try the Instagram link again.
Reset Your Network Settings
On your Android phone or iPhone, reset your network settings to default which can fix any corrupted network data. Go to Settings → General → Reset → Reset Network Settings. This will reset Wi-Fi passwords and cellular settings, so make sure you have that info handy to re-enter.
Turn Airplane Mode On and Off
Toggle the Airplane mode on your phone off and back on. This disables all wireless radios for a few seconds before re-enabling them, which can kickstart your network connectivity.
Check for Software Updates
Outdated software on your phone can sometimes cause connectivity issues. Go to Settings → General → Software Update and install any available updates. Updates frequently patch security risks and bugs that can disrupt your network performance.
Try Mobile Data Instead
If you’re on Wi-Fi, switch over to your mobile data connection and see if the Instagram link works. If it does, the issue is likely with your Wi-Fi network. Contact your internet service provider for further help diagnosing and resolving the problem.
Following these steps should get your Instagram links to click again in no time. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Uninstall and Reinstall the Instagram App
If Instagram links aren’t working on your Android or iPhone, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is worth a try. This refresh can fix issues with the current install and get your links functioning again.
Delete the Instagram App
First, delete the Instagram app from your phone. On Android, go to Settings → Apps & notifications → See all apps. Find Instagram and tap “Delete app.” On iPhone, hold down on the Instagram app icon until it starts wiggling. Tap the “X” in the corner of the icon to delete the app.
Restart Your Phone
Restarting your phone clears its memory and can resolve temporary software issues. Power down your phone completely, then turn it back on after 30 seconds. This quick reset is an easy first step that may get your Instagram links working again.
Go to the app store on your phone and reinstall the Instagram app. On Android, open the Google Play Store. On iPhone, open the App Store. Search for “Instagram” and tap “Install” or “Get” to reinstall the app on your phone.
Sign In and Check Your Links
Open the newly installed Instagram app and sign in with your username and password. Try sharing a link in a post or story again. The links should now be working properly. If not, continue to the next steps.
An outdated version of the Instagram app could also be causing issues with links. Go to the app store and check for any available updates to Instagram. Tap “Update” to install the latest version. Updated apps often contain bug fixes and patches that can resolve problems.
After reinstalling and updating Instagram, your links should be working as expected again. If you continue to face issues, try contacting Instagram support for additional help. A quick uninstall and reinstall is an easy first solution, but for persistent problems, further support may be needed.